Thursday, October 21, 2010

Surrealism

For this picture, I used a ground that was sharper and completely dark mixed with a sky that was lighter and more blurry. For the first clock, I used the multiply filter to blend the clock into the clouds. The second clock, which I used an overlay to place on an egg, is close to the ground but not touching it. I used an egg on a feather so that it would fit in with the clouds and look floaty. Since the larger tree was quite straight in its middle, I placed a very dark, straight lamppost beside it. This placement made the lamppost look as if it was always there. After I finished placing all the required elements, I was still not satisfied with the image. I wanted it to be...creepier and more uncomfortable. To get this feeling, I added a growling dog into the sky just above the burst of light. I used an overlay on this picture as well to make it more transparent and subtle.I then noticed a clearing in the clouds closer to the middle of the picture that was the perfect shape for a howling dog, so I added that dog as well. He is harder to see and I used an overlay for him too. I used the overlay and adjusted the contrast so that he blended in with the lighting around those clouds. My final product had the exact look I was going for so I showed it to some friends to see if I was correctly portraying the feeling I wanted. According to their thoughts, this creation was successful.

1 comment:

  1. Taylor, you didn't explain why you decided to use a monochromatic approach. Don't assume the viewer understands. This is a very sophisticated piece of work. As you say, you've made the components very subtle and that is all the more intriguing because your viewer needs to work a bit to find all the ingredients. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete