Friday, October 29, 2010

Overlay



The effect I was looking for with this picture is similar to the one I was looking for when I created the surrealism picture. I want it to feel cold and creepy. I made it black and white to give that colder feeling as well as using the cement texture. For the cement, I used the overlay mode but since it was still quite transparent, I had to duplicate the layer to make it stronger. To make the nose look more real instead of flat, I used the burn tool to achieve the curves and nostril. I wanted this picture to make the viewer feel not necessarily scared, but creeped out. The black background adds to this feeling and so does the eye. To change the eye from brown to red, I had to make the pupil and colour part two different layers so that when I adjusted the saturation and hue of the eye, it did not change the blackness of the pupil.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Taylor. You did a lot of problem solving to reach this final image and I'm glad you weren't satisfied with the earlier versions. The photo is very interesting in terms of its composition. I like that it is cropped so tight and that the face is angles so that it seems balanced by the fingers. I'm not sure what blurring you did around the nose but it did result in a bit of a smudged look, which probably isn't out of line considering the cement texture. Once again the monochromatic palette works well with the red eye as a focal point.
    Your technical skills are strong and you explain the process well. I;d like you to put more energy into telling the story of the image. You need to sell the concept to the viewer. Is this about alienation. Is she alone, unloved, cold like a cement statue?

    ReplyDelete